Engineering at 2U is fast paced, innovative and full of people passionate about delivering on the promise of higher education via technology. We’re growing rapidly and are seeking collaborative and results-driven individuals to join us. In return, we can offer you a fun learning environment where your skills, experience and creativity will make a material impact on the company’s success and its overall mission. Your tenure at 2U will be a highlight of your career.
We strive for our teams to be cross-functional, self-organizing, and autonomous. You’ll be working directly with Product Managers and Business Analysts in a highly collaborative manner.
About The Role
We are looking for a collaborative and results-driven DevOps engineer with experience in AWS architecture, Linux systems administration and Agile software development.
Above all, you care about delivering quality service and software in a sustainable and timely manner. You have experience in, and passion for, high-quality, maintainable infrastructure and code that confers low operating costs, high change velocity and is a point of professional pride for you and the team.
You are a competent maker with the following competencies:
- Designing resilient, high-availability systems and services
- Managing and improving continuous integration and continuous delivery pipelines
- Refactoring to keep code maintainable
- Conducting exploratory and automated testing
- Debugging complex problems under time constraints
- Leading technical design of infrastructure and participate in larger system design efforts
- Providing technical guidance and feedback to other team-members
You have experience in:
- Running deployment software to put code on production
- Planning and estimating development tasks and short-term projects
- Developing and using metrics to drive infrastructure decisions
- Relating your project deliverables to products you are building and strategy behind them
- Advocating for user needs in infrastructure and software you are building
- Collaborating with all internal development teams to define and refine requirements
Over time, we expect engineers in this role to grow by learning and practicing the following skills:
- Participating in application and system level technical design
- Conducting technical interviews
- Participating in planning staffing needs on your team
- Metrics driven infrastructure and software development
This role reports to Director of Engineering for the DevOps team.
About The Team
The DevOps team maintains and develops the AWS infrastructure and deployment tools. The team provides and manages tooling for the creation, maintenance and optimization of deployment pipelines that encourage and enable development teams ownership of the software development lifecycle. We are motivated to build a team where members bring sound infrastructure design fundamentals and a diverse set of skills and experiences to the table. We looking for experience and expertise in most of the following technologies:
- AWS services (EC2, RDS, Route53 and more…)
- One or more of Puppet, Chef, Ansible or comparable configuration management tools
- Orchestration platforms for containers (i.e. Docker, Kubernetes, Swarm or ECS)
- Linux systems administration
- Scripting languages such as Bash, CSH, etc.
- Programming experience in Python, Ruby or other object-oriented language
About 2U Inc. (NASDAQ: TWOU)
Eliminating the back row in higher education is not just a metaphor–it’s our mission. For more than a decade, 2U, Inc., a global leader in education technology, has been a trusted partner and brand steward of great universities. We build, deliver, and support more than 250 digital and in-person educational offerings, including graduate degrees, professional certificates, Trilogy-powered boot camps, and GetSmarter short courses. Together with our partners, 2U has positively transformed the lives of more than 150,000 students and lifelong learners. To learn more, visit 2U.com. #NoBackRow
2U Diversity and Inclusion Statement
At 2U, we are committed to creating and sustaining a culture that embodies diverse walks of life, ideas, genders, ages, races, cultures, sexual orientations, abilities and other unique qualities of our employees. We strive to offer a workplace where every employee feels empowered by the ways in which we are different, as well as the ways in which we are the same.
Why It’s Great to Work at 2U
2U offers a high-energy work environment that’s both challenging and fun. We work hard, but our offices are casual and social places. We wear jeans to work and fuel brainstorming sessions with snacks and seltzer.
2U offers a comprehensive benefits package:
- Medical, dental, and vision coverage
- Life insurance, disability and 401(k)
- Unlimited snacks and drinks
- Tuition reimbursement program
- Generous paid leave policies including unlimited PTO for your vacation, personal, or sick days
- Additional time off benefits include:
- time off to volunteer for non-profit organizations
- parental leave after 9 months of employment
- holidays that include a winter break from Christmas through New Year and more!
Note: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by individuals assigned to this position, and are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required. All employees may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
2U is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate against applicants or employees and ensures equal employment opportunity for all persons regardless of their race, creed, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, pregnancy, national origin, age, marital status, disability, citizenship, military or veterans’ status, or any other classifications protected by applicable federal, state or local laws. 2U’s equal opportunity policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including but not limited to recruiting, hiring, training, promotion, job benefits, pay and dismissal.
2U will consider qualified job applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable law, including Los Angeles' Fair Chance Ordinance.