Director, Internal Communications & Engagement
Summary of Job:
The Director, Internal Communications and Engagement will join a growing team dedicated to ensuring two-way communication across the business. You will be responsible for engaging, aligning and inspiring employees with our vision and strategies while providing leaders with the tools to help all team members understand their role in delivering our plan. To be effective, you must know how to identify and tell the stories that make lofty concepts like vision, strategy and business priorities come to life in a relevant and memorable way.
We are looking for someone who can balance both strategic and tactical communications work. Your primary objective will be to keep our leadership and employees informed on key issues to drive the business and share knowledge across the organization. You will understand where the communications gaps are and put a plan in place to address them. At the same time, you need to be able to set up and manage systems and processes to promote effective communications.
Key Role and Responsibilities:
Strategic Communications and Planning
- Provide strategic communications counsel to executive leaders accountable for core business lines and matrix support functions
- Develop messaging and internal presentations for company updates, key initiatives, industry issues and other topics
- Translate complex business issues into simplified talking points for mid-level people managers
- Provide strategic planning support for programs to influence culture change and promote an inclusive workforce
- Identify opportunities, and lead efforts to tell employee stories, both regionally and globally to demonstrate company purpose
System Communications Leadership
- Serve as a custodian of global internal communications platforms and channels e.g. stakeholder’s intranet pages, office signage, and communications calendar
- Manage alignment and execution of group communications strategy through global integration within the wider organization
- Create and drive internal communications plan and calendar for stakeholders, integrating their plans into the overall global communications calendarUse internal data points to inform and design initiatives that inspire a highly engaged workforce throughout the company’s rapid growth
- Plan and execute effective communication strategies to inform, engage and inspire employee
- Strategically build and cultivate trusted relationships among multiple levels of leadership across the organization to maintain a pulse on the organization
- Use consultative skills to influence stakeholders across a complex corporate environment
Analysis & Administration
- Establish and track metrics that help correlate internal communications programs to employee productivity, engagement and organization performance
- Research industry trends (e.g., through networking, benchmarking, industry publications) to identify new methods for message delivery
- Supervise, coach and mentor direct reports and other team members to influence a positive team culture
- Perform related duties as assigned
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in business, communications, journalism, marketing or other relevant
- 8+ years experience in internal, employee, and/or executive communications, preferably in a fast-paced, high-change, global company
- Experience working for a technology company or supporting a technology team preferred
- Experience leading communications efforts related to mergers and acquisitions, corporate reorganizations/realignments, and other significant change activities recommended
- Deep knowledge of and experience with internal communications, change management and employee engagement strategies required
- Ability to take initiative to build strong, productive and trusting relationships with all levels of an organization, from senior executives to front line workers, with an eye to call on those relationships at important junctures
- Ability to use data to measure communication effectiveness and make decisions on future communications
- Excellent written & verbal communication skills
- Creative and strategic thinker
- Demonstrated experience exercising sound judgment
- Proactive approach, seeking out challenges and anticipating issues
- Track record of success creating communications that successfully lead an organization through change
- Demonstrated ability to develop and execute effective strategies to engage a global workforce across multiple office locations and geographies
- Ability to work with a diverse team in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment
- Enthusiasm to work in an always evolving business
About 2U Inc. (NASDAQ: TWOU)
Eliminating the back row in higher education is not just a metaphor–it’s our mission. For more than a decade, 2U, Inc., a global leader in education technology, has been a trusted partner and brand steward of great universities. We build, deliver, and support more than 250 digital and in-person educational offerings, including graduate degrees, professional certificates, Trilogy-powered boot camps, and GetSmarter short courses. Together with our partners, 2U has positively transformed the lives of more than 150,000 students and lifelong learners. To learn more, visit 2U.com. #NoBackRow
2U Diversity and Inclusion Statement
At 2U, we are committed to creating and sustaining a culture that embodies diverse walks of life, ideas, genders, ages, races, cultures, sexual orientations, abilities and other unique qualities of our employees. We strive to offer a workplace where every employee feels empowered by the ways in which we are different, as well as the ways in which we are the same.
Why It’s Great to Work at 2U
2U offers a high-energy work environment that’s both challenging and fun. We work hard, but our offices are casual and social places. We wear jeans to work and fuel brainstorming sessions with snacks and seltzer.
2U offers a comprehensive benefits package:
- Medical, dental, and vision coverage
- Life insurance, disability and 401(k)
- Unlimited snacks and drinks
- Tuition reimbursement program
- Generous paid leave policies including unlimited PTO for your vacation, personal, or sick days
- Additional time off benefits include:
- time off to volunteer for non-profit organizations
- parental leave after 9 months of employment
- holidays that include a winter break from Christmas through New Year and more!
Note: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by individuals assigned to this position, and are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required. All employees may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
2U is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate against applicants or employees and ensures equal employment opportunity for all persons regardless of their race, creed, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, pregnancy, national origin, age, marital status, disability, citizenship, military or veterans’ status, or any other classifications protected by applicable federal, state or local laws. 2U’s equal opportunity policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including but not limited to recruiting, hiring, training, promotion, job benefits, pay and dismissal.