Director Brand Marketing
What We’re Looking For:
The Director of Brand Marketing, reporting to a VP of Brand Marketing, oversees program and university-level marketing strategy and is responsible for driving the marketing growth of a large portfolio of college and university partners. The role requires a strong understanding of the core metrics that drive the business and requires the ability to develop and execute marketing strategy that drives toward program-specific and university-wide goals. Directors are responsible for resource allocation within a given suite of programs in order to meet business goals. The most successful Directors are expert communicators, creative problem solvers, experienced digital marketing strategists and exemplary leaders with deep understanding of the higher education marketplace who can drive strategy and results across the brand marketing team as well as within the larger marketing organization.
Responsibilities Include, But Are Not Limited To:
- Internal cross-functional marketing management / Drive new product/program development in partnership with General Managers, exploring new growth opportunities at existing universities. Discover and build upon program marketing opportunities based on collected data and analysis. Build strong partnership across an internal cross-functional marketing team and support the team’s professional development. Seek opportunities to bring internal teams together in order to share knowledge and best practices. Work closely with demand generation management to optimize marketing strategy across assigned universities and ensure best practices are communicated down to managers and coordinators. Able to lead challenging conversations with senior-level internal stakeholders (up to C-level). Actively seek and welcome challenging assignments to improve overall team and business performance, proactively pulling appropriate teams together to enact change.
- Develop and execute a data-influenced marketing strategy / Lead a team in identifying opportunities across programs and at a university-wide level, creating solutions to increase efficiency and effectiveness. Evaluate program performance within the portfolio of assigned programs and ensure that direct reports take appropriate actions. Serve as a critical thought partner with organic and paid marketing functions. Oversee new program launches, delegating as appropriate to Brand Marketing Managers and Coordinators. Provide leadership and strategic vision to help attract multiple audiences such as high school students, online and adult learners, parents, graduate students, etc. Monitor for and enact potential process improvements, given one’s wide view of the entire launch cycle and program lifecycle. Responsible for quarterly and annual planning, in partnership with Brand Marketing VP.
- Leadership & management / Directors are responsible for prioritization and delegation for their team, a critical role given the large area of responsibility and considerable demands on their time. Manage a team of five Brand Marketing Managers and Coordinators, driving them to meet or exceed established goals. Work alongside managers as needed to oversee university partner relationships and drive results. Ensure that these managers recognize and assess opportunities, and have the resources necessary to create solutions. Proactively consider opportunities to delegate tasks as a way to build team strengths, scale the business and lighten demands on one’s own time. Allocate coordinators’ time to best meet the needs of assigned programs and universities.
- External relationship management / Ensure strong partner relationship management across the team, leading by example. Able to lead challenging conversations with senior level external stakeholder (up to dean level). Must be able to present/communicate sophisticated marketing topics to university partners, including to those without significant marketing backgrounds. Work with General Managers to explore opportunities across a given university. Manage escalated issues along with VP.
Things That Should Be In Your Background:
- 7-15 years overall marketing experience, including time as a Marketing Director, Marketing Manager, Account Manager or similar job function, either in an agency or corporate setting. Experience in undergraduate marketing and/or enrollment management is highly preferred.
- Bachelor's degree required, MBA or similar preferred
- Demonstrated experience in partner, client, university administration and/or account management
- Demonstrated experience in driving strategy and leading teams
- Ability to translate business objectives into actionable projects for self or direct reports
- Strong background in project management
- Understanding and experience within education, preferably at the undergraduate level
- Must be highly organized and have great attention to detail
- Expert verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills and the ability to work on cross-functional teams
Other Attributes That Will Help You In This Role:
- Experience with Salesforce, Google Analytics and Tableau is a plus
- Ability to maintain a fun, casual, professional and productive team atmosphere
- Ability to work with a diverse team in a fast-paced environment
- Enthusiasm and the ability to adapt and thrive in an atmosphere of constant change
About 2U Inc. (NASDAQ: TWOU)
At 2U, we power world-class online education and in-person boot camps. Going beyond traditional learning management systems, we use tech, people, and data to help top universities transform in the digital era—and eliminate the back row in higher ed. We support lifelong learning which means thinking beyond a single degree. It means finding ways for students to gain the skills they need to change careers, evolve their expertise, and meet the challenges of the changing world head-on. We help universities fill those needs—developing new digital education technologies and offerings capable of supporting students at different points in their lives. Whether they need a simple refresher, to learn something new, or to change their career trajectories completely, our university partners are there to help them succeed.Together with our partners, 2U has positively transformed the lives of more than 150,000 students and lifelong learners. 2U, Inc. has acquired and integrated two companies broadening our portfolio of education offerings into short courses with GetSmarter and boot camps with Trilogy. This role supports our 2U line of business.
2U Diversity and Inclusion Statement
At 2U, we are committed to creating and sustaining a culture that embodies diverse walks of life, ideas, genders, ages, races, cultures, sexual orientations, abilities and other unique qualities of our employees. We strive to offer a workplace where every employee feels empowered by the ways in which we are different, as well as the ways in which we are the same.
Benefits & Culture
Working at 2U means working with individuals that are passionate and mission driven. We collaborate on tough problems to deliver the best outcomes for our partners, students, and each other. You will find team members working together in our open office spaces, gathered in the kitchen grabbing a snack, or taking a break in our game rooms.
2U offers a comprehensive benefits package:
- Medical, dental, and vision coverage
- Life insurance, disability and 401(k)
- Unlimited snacks and drinks
- Tuition reimbursement program
- Generous paid leave policies including unlimited PTO
- Additional time off benefits include: volunteer days, parental leave, and a company-wide winter break from Christmas through New Years!
To learn more, visit 2U.com. #NoBackRow
Note: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by individuals assigned to this position, and are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required. All employees may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
2U is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate against applicants or employees and ensures equal employment opportunity for all persons regardless of their race, creed, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, pregnancy, national origin, age, marital status, disability, citizenship, military or veterans’ status, or any other classifications protected by applicable federal, state or local laws. 2U’s equal opportunity policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including but not limited to recruiting, hiring, training, promotion, job benefits, pay and dismissal.