Data Engineering Manager
What We’re Looking For:
The Data Team within at edX seeks an exceptional Manager of Data Engineering to help drive data-centric decision making across the organization. You will be a crucial member of the team tasked with managing the architecture, building and scaling our data models and platform to support enterprise reporting and analytics leverage across the 2U organization.
Spearheading the expansion of access to - and use of - data and analytics across 2U’s lines of business is one of 2U’s top strategic priorities. In your role, your work will have a significant, highly visible impact on our mission to provide high quality education to everyone, everywhere.
In this role:
- You’ll manage a talented, collaborative, and practical data team that learns from each other.
- You’ll collaborate across business functions and with senior leadership on some of 2U’s highest visibility data initiatives.
- You’ll solve challenging technical problems involving large volumes of data using cutting-edge tools.
The team is seeking an experienced and passionate data engineering leader who is excited by the prospect of having a big positive impact on millions of lives. You will form and lead a distributed and growing team of 6 data engineers. You will work cross-functionally with other engineering groups and lines of business to find ways to help learners find the perfect next step in their educational journey!
Responsibilities Include, But Are Not Limited To:
- Leading, coaching, evaluating, motivating and mentoring a high-performing team of data engineers of different skill levels and experiences
- Manage and provide leadership around our data infrastructure and platform, partnering with leadership and teams across the organization to help develop and operationalize our data roadmap
- Design and deliver solutions in a wide range of data management spaces, including data ingestion, transformation and delivery, data interoperability, and data privacy and security areas
- Partner within the data team and cross-functionally across engineering teams to understand their data needs and help create the tools and automation that enable them to derive value from their data
- Continuously improve the operations of the team, leading by example and role-modeling best practices in customer-centricity, operational excellence and agile planning and delivery
- Manage vendor relationships and renewals responsibly and to budget
Things That Should Be In Your Background:
- 3+ years of current or previous experience working as an engineering manager, team lead, or tech lead in the data space in a technology environment
- 5+ years hands-on experience in software development for data systems at scale (e.g., building data warehouses, data marts, data lakes, ETL/ELT, analytic solutions, etc.)
- Experience with AWS systems and the tools of a modern data infrastructure and data warehouses such as Snowflake, Redshift, BigQuery
- Demonstrated experience with Agile methods and practices
- Ability to effectively share technical information, communicate technical issues and solutions to all levels of business
- Strong problem-solving skills, with a collaborative, pragmatic and outcomes oriented approach to building solutions
Other Attributes That Will Help You In This Role:
- Key mindsets: always improving, experiment-first, systems thinking, and customer-centric
- Thoughtful organization and prioritization of your own time to maximize your impact
- A bias for action
- A strong belief in key engineering principles
edX is the education movement for restless learners. Together with our founding partners Harvard and MIT, we’ve brought together more than 38 million learners, the majority of top-ranked universities in the world, and industry-leading companies onto one online learning platform that supports learners at every stage. And we’re not stopping there—as a global nonprofit, we’re relentlessly pursuing our vision of a world where every learner can access education to unlock their potential, without the barriers of cost or location.
About 2U, Inc. (NASDAQ: TWOU)
2U is comprised of 3 lines of business: Graduate Degree Programs, Short Course, and Boot Camps. Going beyond traditional learning management systems, we use tech, people, and data to help top universities and enterprise organizations transform in the digital era—and eliminate the back row in higher ed. We support lifelong learning which means thinking beyond a single degree. It means finding ways for students to gain the skills they need to change careers, evolve their expertise, and meet the challenges of the changing world head-on. We help our partners fill those needs—developing new digital education technologies and offerings capable of supporting students at different points in their lives. Whether they need a simple refresher, to learn something new, or to change their career trajectories completely, our partners are there to help them succeed. Together with our partners, 2U has positively transformed the lives of more than 275,000 students and lifelong learners.
2U Diversity and Inclusion Statement
At 2U, we are committed to creating and sustaining a culture that embodies diverse walks of life, ideas, genders, ages, races, cultures, sexual orientations, abilities and other unique qualities of our employees. We strive to offer a workplace where every employee feels empowered by the ways in which we are different, as well as the ways in which we are the same.
Benefits & Culture
Working at 2U means working with individuals that are passionate and mission driven. We collaborate on tough problems to deliver the best outcomes for our partners, students, and each other. You will find team members working together in our open office spaces, gathered in the kitchen grabbing a snack, or taking a break in our game rooms.
2U offers a comprehensive benefits package:
- Medical, dental, and vision coverage
- Life insurance, disability and 401(k)
- Unlimited snacks and drinks
- Generous paid leave policies including unlimited PTO
- Additional time off benefits include: volunteer days, parental leave, and a company-wide winter break
In Colorado, the anticipated base salary for this role is $100,000.00 with potential bonus and equity eligibility. Note: The final compensation for this position may consider factors including the geographic location where the work is performed (candidate’s assigned office) and prior work experience of the candidate.
To learn more, visit 2U.com. #NoBackRow
Note: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by individuals assigned to this position, and are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required. All employees may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
2U is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate against applicants or employees and ensures equal employment opportunity for all persons regardless of their race, creed, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, pregnancy, national origin, age, marital status, disability, citizenship, military or veterans’ status, or any other classifications protected by applicable federal, state or local laws. 2U’s equal opportunity policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including but not limited to recruiting, hiring, training, promotion, job benefits and pay.